Your roofing system protects your home from the harshest elements, so it’s constantly exposed to risks of damage. You want to regularly maintain your roof so that you can get the most out of its service life and performance. Apart from that, you should also equip yourself with the right information regarding the various factors that can cause problems with your roofing.
Here are five of the most common roofing threats that you should know.
- Animals: Birds, raccoons and squirrels can cause damage to your roof. They can nest and hibernate in your attic or soffit, where debris and moisture could accumulate and wreak havoc on your building materials.
- Hail: Hailstones can damage your roof, leaving small dents and cracks when they hit it. These openings enlarge with time, increasing the likelihood of leaks when it rains. Furthermore, hailstones can knock shingle granules off your roof. You should have your roof inspected after a hailstorm.
- Heat and moisture: Premature roof aging occurs when heat and humidity accumulate in your attic. These elements bake the shingles above and cause them to curl and blister. Ventilating your attic and properly addressing your home’s indoor moisture issues can prevent such issues.
- Water: During a rainstorm, water typically slides off your roof, enters the gutters and is channeled away where it can cause no harm. However, there are times when water pools on the system’s surface due to poor drainage. Standing water gradually erodes the roofing material, making it easy for water to infiltrate your home. Make sure to carry out a roof repair promptly so you can keep any damage from getting out of hand.
- Wind: Strong wind gusts can lift shingles at the edges, exposing the inner components of your roof to the elements. This increases the vulnerability of your roofing system to wind damage. Check your roof shingles, and make sure they are securely attached to the sheathing and will not easily lift or blow off during a storm. Regular roof inspections and maintenance can help you keep your shingles in excellent condition.
Are you looking for a roofing contractor to handle your next project? Contact V. Nanfito Roofing & Siding today! To request a free consultation, call us at (203) 639-1634, or fill out our convenient online form.