Strong winds and storms can cause shingles to loosen and blow off the roof, leaving the underlying layers vulnerable to further damage. When this happens, it’s crucial to take swift action to address the issue immediately. Without proper repair, your roof may weaken, resulting in major problems that can affect your home. In this post, V. Nanfito Roofing & Siding, Inc. discusses the causes and ways to prevent shingles from getting blown off your roof.
Causes of Shingle Blow-Offs
Shingle blow-offs can occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Strong winds. High winds, especially during storms or hurricanes, can create significant uplift forces on the roof. If the shingles are not properly installed, secured, or have been damaged due to long-term wear, they can be lifted and blown off by the wind.
- Improper installation. If the shingles are incorrectly installed, they may not withstand wind forces and other weather conditions.
- Aging and deterioration. Over time, shingles can become worn out, brittle and lose their adhesion. As shingles deteriorate, they may become more prone to blow-offs during storms with strong winds.
- Damage from debris. Falling branches, tree limbs or other debris can damage shingles, compromising their integrity.
- Inadequate roof ventilation. Poor ventilation in the attic or roof space can create a buildup of heat and moisture, damaging the shingles and making them more susceptible to getting blown off.
- Roof design and slope. Roofs with steep slopes tend to be more resistant to shingle blow-offs than roofs with shallow slopes.
Best Practices for Repairing Shingle Blow-Offs
The best way to deal with shingle blow-offs is to have a roofing contractor assess the damage and determine the best course of action. Depending on the extent of the damage, the contractor may opt to replace the affected shingles or repair the existing ones. Note that replacing shingles may cost more but is necessary to ensure that the roof is adequately protected.
How to Prevent Shingle Blow-Offs
You can prevent shingle blow-offs by conducting regular roof inspections and maintenance. This will help you identify potential issues early on and address them before they become more significant problems. Ensure that roofing work is carried out by certified roofing contractors. When hiring one, make sure that they have the credentials to prove their skills and experience to provide exceptional roofing products and workmanship.
For top-notch residential roofing services, turn to V. Nanfito Roofing & Siding, Inc. Big or small, we treat every roofing project with the same level of professionalism and urgency. We look forward to speaking with you and discussing how our services can help you achieve your needs. Call us at (203) 639-1634, or fill out this contact form to schedule a consultation.